By Russell Blackford
50 Voices of Disbelief: Why we're Atheists presents a set of unique essays drawn from a global workforce of well-known voices within the fields of academia, technology, literature, media and politics who provide conscientiously thought of statements of why they're atheists.
- Features a very foreign forged of individuals, starting from public intellectuals corresponding to Peter Singer, Susan Blackmore, and A.C. Grayling, novelists, resembling Joe Haldeman, and heavyweight philosophers of faith, together with Graham Oppy and Michael Tooley
- Contributions diversity from rigorous philosophical arguments to hugely own, even whimsical, debts of ways every one of those extraordinary thinkers have come to reject faith of their lives
- Likely to have large allure given the present public fascination with non secular matters and the reception of such books as The God Delusion and The finish of Faith
Read Online or Download 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists PDF
Best religious studies books
This scarce antiquarian booklet is a facsimile reprint of the unique. because of its age, it could actually comprise imperfections equivalent to marks, notations, marginalia and improper pages. simply because we think this paintings is culturally very important, we've made it on hand as a part of our dedication for safeguarding, retaining, and selling the world's literature in reasonable, prime quality, glossy versions which are actual to the unique paintings.
The Yearbook of Muslims in Europe offers an up to date account of the placement of Muslims in Europe. protecting forty six nations of Europe from the Atlantic to the Urals, the Yearbook includes 3 sections: the 1st part offers a country-by-country precis of crucial facts with easy records with reviews in their reliability, surveys of criminal prestige and preparations, firms, and so on.
Nathan Lee Kaplan develops a talmudic viewpoint on administration ethics. through examining the principal moral dilemmas of company managers in gentle of appropriate traditions from the Oral Torah, this publication deals a severe bridge among the modern company company and rabbinic Judaism’s foundational culture.
- Papal Magic: Occult Practices Within the Catholic Church
- Atheism And The Case Against Christ
- The Blackwell Companion to the Bible and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Religion)
- Annual Review of the Sociology of Religion: Volume 1: Youth and Religion
Extra resources for 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists
Most people have given serious thought to the possibility that God exists. Some of the deals that God seems to offer do appear enticing – perhaps too enticing. Who of sound mind would really say “no” to eternal life? Who would not mind trading earthly problems for eternal life in paradise? Atheists do. We reject the deal on the table not because we believe that eternal life would necessarily be a bad thing; no, we do so because we know that the deal is not as good as it looks. We refuse to overlook the inconvenient fact that there is no evidence of eternal life.
This may sound like irrationality on the past of the theist. ” a skeptic will ask. But the theist would have an answer to this question if she had very strong independent reasons for thinking that God exists, for if it is already certain that God exists, then we could reasonably infer that there must be good reasons why he tolerates the evil, even if we do not know what they are. By analogy, if I hear that someone whom I much admire has done something apparently awful, I may quite rationally say: “She must have had good reasons, because I know that she is not the sort of person who behaves in an awful manner.
Sometimes I threw pebbles at the window. On other occasions I would go to the basement to pound the floor of the living-room with a broom handle. ” Reading Matthew 19:26 on that particular Sunday caused me to remember why I found belief in God so ridiculous. When I slammed the Bible shut, I was sitting in a church pew with my high school friend Hopie. Her stepfather, Dr Leath, was the Pastor of Truett Baptist Church in Long Beach, California. Pastor Leath heard my Bible slam shut and stared down at me from the pulpit.